Thursday, June 12, 2014

Milani and Jordana || Still Cruelty-Free ?



Hey guys.

 If you read LogicalHarmony.net you’d know that the article titled Milani and Jordana nolonger has caused much panic in the cruelty-free-blogger world.

I won’t go into too many details about the article but basically there is speculation that some of the ingredients in Milani products have been tested on animals.

After I took down a post featuring two Milani lipsticks, I decided to email Milani and ask for an explanation. Side note, be sure to follow this blog on Facebook because that’s where I post when I email a company and when I receive a reply from them. 

I wanted to share (as promised) the correspondence I’ve had with Milani so far.

I emailed them saying:

Hello, My name is Camila Alvarez. I am the writer for HumanelyChic (humanelychic.blogspot.com), a cruelty-free beauty blog. I am interested in buying from your company but would like to be assured that your products are cruelty-free. I have some questions I would appreciate you address. Please be sure to answer all of them as the answers you provide are very important to both my readers and myself. 

1. Does your company test ingredients or/and finished products on animals?
2. Do you test ingredients or products on animals through a 3rd party? If your answer is no, how do you ensure that your manufacturers do not test? 
3. Do your manufacturers test ingredients or products on animals?
4. Are you owned or affiliated with any companies that test products or ingredients on animals?
5. Do you have a parent company? If so who are they? 
6. Do you/your parent company currently or have plans to market and sell your products in the Chinese market, which requires animal testing by law to sell in that country? 
7. Do you use palm oil/carnuaba wax in any of your products? If so, is it from an organic and sustainable source? 
8. Could you provide a list of all of your current vegan items available for purchase?

Thank you in advance for you cooperation!

Another sidenote, they replied to my email the next day which I really appreciated!
Here’s their reply:

Hi Camila,

Thank you for your inquiry. Please see our stance on animal testing here: http://milanicosmetics.com/t-faq.aspx.

Additionally, we are in the midst of compiling a list of our vegan items, which we will be sharing on our website. In the meantime, we provide all of our ingredient on our website. If there is a specific shade you would like to know about I’ll be happy to let you know if it is vegan.

I didn’t like this reply because, obviously, it’s very vague. So I emailed them back:

Hello {names are omitted},
Thank you for replying to my email. I checked out the link you provided. Meanwhile, a very well know blog (LogicalHarmony.net) has a post that worries me. According to the post, Milani (Jordana) did test some of it's ingredients on animals to comply with law and regulations of certain countries. Is this correct? It would be really appreciated if Milani came out with a statement clearing this up. I know the reader of my blog and the thousands that only shop for cruelty-free cosmetics and have long supported Milani would appreciate it. 

Thank you again for your attention. 

Again the representative emailed me right away.

Hi Camila,

We are aware of the blog post from LogicalHarmony.net. There was miscommunication between our company and a few customers that prompted her post. We did make an official statement on our Facebook page addressing the miscommunication and our stance on Animal Testing. The post was made on June 4th. You can see it on our page, but here it is as well:

Milani apologizes for causing recent confusion regarding our practices related to the use of animals for the safety testing of its products. The confusion was caused in part by a company response made to a Milani website inquiry that unintentionally was vague and in certain respects inaccurate. Milani will use its best efforts going forward to ensure such confusion does not occur again.

From the inception of the company, Milani has been opposed to the use of animals for the safety testing of cosmetic products. Our company philosophy has never changed in this regard. We have never tested our products on animals, and never have allowed others to test our products on animals.

All Milani cosmetic products are manufactured by reputable suppliers who do not use animals for product testing. Milani is now in the process of obtaining certifications from all of our suppliers regarding this fact, as well as the fact that the raw materials used in our products are not tested on animals. We will confirm receipt of these certifications when they have been obtained. 

We do not sell our products in any markets where animal testing is required by local law or regulations.

We endorse the published efforts of many who oppose testing on animals at any point during production, as a finished product, or with respect to ingredients used in the manufacture of the product.

Milani currently is in the process of receiving certification as cruelty free under PETA’s Beauty Without Bunnies Program.

We hope this resolves any confusion that may exist regarding our positions on these issues.


Granted, they did not answer my original eight questions, but I think we can all admit this clears this up a lot. To be safe, I will ask whether they sale their products in China. According to what was stated above the answer should be no, but we’ll see. After hearing their explanation about the origin of the miss communication and confusion, and reading about their animal testing policy I would feel safe supporting Milani again. What’s your opinion? Let me know.


Lots of Love,
Camila

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please utilize this comment section for feedback. If you have a question, message me on facebook. It's easier that way to answer your questions directly. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Main-nav-Menu (Do Not Edit Here!)